<span class="highlight">CARSON</span> <span class="highlight">RIVER</span> <span class="highlight">TRACK</span>

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 01, 2007 at 17:11
ThreadID: 43883 Views:5452 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, has anyone travelled the Carson River Track from Carson River to Home Valley via King George and Berkeley Rivers and Oomblugurri in recent years and can help regarding where the track actually goes, travel times, etc?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: joc45 - Sunday, Apr 01, 2007 at 17:36

Sunday, Apr 01, 2007 at 17:36
Did Carson River station track thru to the Drysdale River about 5 yrs ago, but was unaware of any tracks going where you reckon, tho the 250k series shows a track out of Carson River station, across the Drysdale and up to some Oombulgurrie land right up north.
We had to get special permits from Kalumburu community just to do the Carson River bit, with loads of restrictions as to where we could go.
Was this out of Doongan Station, perhaps?
Will be interested to see what responses come back.
Gerry
AnswerID: 231033

Reply By: Dodgin & Weavin - Sunday, Apr 01, 2007 at 19:36

Sunday, Apr 01, 2007 at 19:36
Yep. We took 8 days from Kununurra to Kalumburu. You could do it quicker but this is not the sort of trip that should be done with a deadline. Getting permits may be tricky. I wouldn't recommend the trip without permission. You'll almost certainly be spotted (the track goes through Oombi) and it's frowned upon big time - with good reason. If you have problems you'll need the locals help which they can't give if they don't know your there. The only maps I've seen with anything like an accurate track marked is the 1:50K series. You'll still need local advise on directions. DO NOT TAKE THIS TRIP LIGHTLY. It's an extremely rugged and remote trip with very little traffic. I wouldn't recommend attempting it unless you are very experienced, very very well prepared, have got local advise and have tough high clearance vehicles. Definitely not a camper trailer trip. If you get permission & go be careful.

Cheers

Dodgin
AnswerID: 231066

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Apr 01, 2007 at 21:54

Sunday, Apr 01, 2007 at 21:54
Yeah I heard of people doing that track some time in the early 80's. It was a hard slog apparently with some serious winching involved.

I did the run from the Kalumburu Road to Carson River and to the Drysdale River and beyond to King George Falls in 1986. It was pretty hard going in a Suzuki especially the last 10km to KGF. Also did the run from Theda Station to Carson River Escarpment and on the Carson River Station at the same time. There were no restrictions then. Some cold beers offered to the station manager and a good bush chat got us the necessary permissions to get into that remote country.

Cheers

AnswerID: 231100

Sponsored Links